- A woman is raped every 26 seconds in South Africa
- A woman is killed every 6 days by her intimate male partner in South Africa
- A child is abused every 8 minutes in SA
- A child is raped every 24 minutes in SA
- A child is assaulted every 14 minutes in SA
- 85-90% of perpetrators are known to the child.
- 1 in 4 girls & 1 in 5 boys under 16 yrs have been sexually abused.
- 1/2 of 26 000 Johannesburg high school students interviewed believe that forced sex is not sexual violence
- In one SA township- all girls (mean age 16.4 yrs) had had sexual intercourse. 1/3 said their 1st experience was rape or forced sex. 2/3 teens said they'd experienced sex against their will.
- The rape graph rises sharply from 3 to 25 year old girls and peaks at girls age 8 to 11 years.
The RAPEX anti-rape device is being introduced in SA. I listened to an interview with the "inventor" of this device on a radio show yesterday morning, and I was horrified that we've come to this. The rape and abuse situation in my beloved country is insane.
The woman who invented the device was talking about how affordable it is and how it can be bought in packs of 10 or 20 to be worn daily. "Just pop it in before you catch the train," she said. She went on to describe how she is working on a new rape-prevention device for children and babies as well. "Don't worry she added, it will not require insertion, it is going to work very differently to the Rapex device." That's when I realised nothing in this world makes sense anymore. NOTHING.
We have to change the way the world operates. The fact that we "need" such devices in the first place is the actual problem.
Sad and angry in Tshwane