Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. Edward Abbey

23 January 2006

Returning to the wild

I have never thought of myself as a prisoner before. But recently the theme keeps coming up in my life. But something someone said in conversation today, sparked off the truth in me.

I was born inside a prison camp. I went to school, where I was told at age 6 to stand in line, keep quite, not to question authority. I was told when to eat, when to take a break. I was told what to think. THAT'S PRISON!

As a result my thought-patterns are shaped by prison mentality. And as the person went on to say, "those formative years were supposed to have been spent exploring ecological and living reality". So how, in the supposed prime of my life, do I undo the damage? I know I should get out into the wild. I need to spend more time in nature, listening to the land. But I know I have to pay my mortgage at the end of the month. So what now?

No comments:

Post a Comment