Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. Edward Abbey

11 May 2006

Bat shaman

It was while attending an interspecies communication workshop recently that I realised I might have shaman potential ...

The animal totem card I draw at the start of the day was an upside down bat: symbol of the suppressed shaman, a shaman experiencing a breached birth. If I do not follow my true path it may be that I get stuck in the birth canal and die.



Photo credit: © Mark Levesley, courtesy Centre for Bioscience ImageBank.


Bat upright: rebirth, secrets and initiation
Bat upside down: breached birth, resisting initiation

Whether this would be a metaphorical death or a physical one is immaterial to me. I know I have to follow the path I have glimpsed. I have to commune with nature in order to live. I can no longer deny my true being.

With this in mind I have been doggedly pursuing the options open to me. I am seeking community with others who believe in helping protect the wilderness at any cost.

Watch this space and see how things evolve ...

ps I have had some noisy and bold visits from a troop of nagapies who are making my life a joy to behold. A sure sign that things are moving forward in my life's work ... and it has NOTHING to do with my day job!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:10 am

    In nature, Bats hang upside down. I am not sure why that would be a symbol of your "suppressed shaman." Perhaps a symbol of your shaman? Of course you may be referring to a card deck interpretation, but it still makes no sense to me.
    Metaphor, symbols are usually based on something concrete and actual, from there we gather to play with object in symbolic form. They hang upside down because it puts them in an ideal position for takeoff. Unlike birds, they don't launch themselves into the air from where they are perched., the ground, etc. . Their wings don't produce enough lift to take off from a dead stop, and their hind legs are so small and underdeveloped that they can't run to build up the necessary takeoff speed. Instead, they use their front claws to climb to a high spot, and then fall into flight. By sleeping upside down in a high location, they are all set to launch if they need to escape the roost.

    ReplyDelete