Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. Edward Abbey

29 October 2007

Africa staffs the West

Less than 10% of doctors trained in Zambia since its independence in 1964 are still in the country: the other 90% have migrated, mainly to Europe and the United States. No less staggeringly, there are more Sierra Leonean-trained doctors in Chicago alone than in the country itself and cash-strapped Benin provides more medical professionals to France than there are in the whole of its own health system.

Brilliant but tragic article in the M&G ...

No comments:

Post a comment