Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. Edward Abbey

11 September 2009

Salvador Dali - fascist & animal abuser

Some time ago, while playing with Blogger's new features, I threw on a gadget called Salvador Dali fine art of the day. Two weeks ago, while attending Sydne's first art exhibition, I pointed out a work based on a Dali painting and she mentioned to me that she was not a Dali fan as he had disrespectfully used animals in his various creative ventures.

I did some research and have not able to find anything about dogs chained behind a car ... yet ... but I was horrified to read that he pranced around with a live, wild ocelot as some sort of trophy, and threw cats in the air, along with pails of water to photograph them (28 times in one day).

And them I came across something worse. Dali supported Franco's regime:

"For every political assassination carried out by Mussolini's fascist regime, there were 10,000 such assassinations by the Franco regime. More than 200,000 people were killed or died in concentration camps between 1939 (when Franco defeated the Spanish Republic, with the military assistance of Hitler and Mussolini) and 1945 (the end of World War II, an anti-fascist war, in Europe). And 30,000 people remain desaparecidos in Spain; no one knows where their bodies are." - Counterpunch

Read the full article here.


So I just want to say thank you to Sydne for alerting me to Dali's indiscretions. There was a terrible irony in featuring Dali's art on a blog supporting animal rights. I have corrected the error. No more Dali for me!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:05 am

    One can still celebrate a person's art without celebrating the person. Dali also talked of kicking a dog on the street at random as a surrealist action. I find that horrible, but still love and enjoy his art. Assholes can paint well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:23 am

    Yeah? So going by your logic, we should be able to celebrate the nazi logo that Hitler designed without celebrating his acts of mass murder. Wonder why it's so hard for people to take a simple stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitler did not design the logo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE SEEN NO EVIDENCE OF REAL CRUELTY FROM DALI ( I WOULD NOT THROW A CAT IN THE AIR EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOULD LAND SAFELY) THE DONKEY ON THE BEACH WAS DEAD WHEN DALI CUT OUT THE EYES, WHIH IS LITTLE DIFFERENT TO UTTING UP MEAT ON YOUR DINNER PLATE. I THINK IT IS LIKELY DALI ENCOURAGED THESE STORIES FOR PUBLICITY, THE WOMAN BEATING THING IS NONSENSE, HE WAS BULLIED BY HIS WIFE, AS FOR SUPPORTING FRANCO HE REMAINED NEUTRAL AS HE DID NOT WANT TO BE A CASUALTY OF HISTORY AND WAS SHOCKED AND UPSET WHEN SOME OF HIS REPUBLICAN FRIENDS WERE KILLED.

    ReplyDelete