Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. Edward Abbey

06 December 2009

Dubai cash dries up in Cape

As a follow-up to my earlier post about the teetering tower of babel that is Dubai in late 2009, came an interesting spin-off here in South Africa. It seems all sorts of repurcussions are being felt:

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-12-04-dubai-cash-dries-up-in-cape


If my memory serves me well [as Siouxsie Sioux was want to say], I think Dubai World owns not just the V&A Waterfront, but several game farms and the Bourke's Luck potholes area in Mpumalanga. I remember the battle fought by locals when that deal went through, smoothly facilitated by some greased palm in the provincial government at the time.

I wish we were more like the Somalis, or the Ogoni, or like the Ethiopians were prior to the 21 st century. They were never willing to sell their souls to conquerors.

No comments:

Post a Comment