Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. Edward Abbey

24 November 2013

High functioning invisibility

"The fact that autistics aren't all the same (far from it!), combined with the ability many of us high-functioning autistics have to pass as normal in some circumstances, makes autism the kind of invisible disability it can be easy to excuse as a mere personality quirk/characteristic/defect or two. Although it might be better if I could relax and let that happen (allow my autism to be overlooked), I find myself continually irritated by and uneasy about this casual erasure of who I am. It's rude, at the very least, despite the good intentions behind it." - Jane Meyerding (September 2002)

Now I better understand femme invisibility too.

No comments:

Post a Comment